Thursday, December 6, 2012

Mellow Mushroom Review



I haven't talked about pizza in AGES so I figured today I would review one off my all time favorite pizza restaurants: Mellow Mushroom. This place is like my family. I mean, we were even born in the same city. I was kind of a picky eater as a child. I've never really liked meat and I hadn't be introduced to a big variety of vegetables, so when my family went out to eat is was usually a Mexican restaurant because I liked cheese quesadillas. And they liked margaritas. But going to get pizza at Mellow Mushroom was different because everyone in my family liked what I wanted to get on my pie: pepperoni, black olives, and greens olives. Instead of sitting against the wall in a booth and reading a book the entire time like I did at other places, my brother and I would run around and play the arcade games. I was no longer the quiet anti-social child but the annoying, screaming, shit head that every parent dreams of. Pizza did that to me. Pizza changed my life.

In 2001 I moved to a small beach town in Florida and left those glory days behind. I suffered through my 4 years of high school only getting to taste the sweet, sweet pizza of Mellow Mushroom once on a family ski trip to Boone, NC. The lack of my childhood sweetheart was so traumatic for me that I pushed it out of my mind and basically repressed any memory of it ever existing. Those were dark times for me.

Luckily, when I grew up and escaped that small town for the big city life I chose Orlando (lol), which had a Mellow Mushroom 15 minutes from my house. Since then, a second location has opened in the ara and I now live smack dab in the middle of the two. I can go whenever I want! If you have a Mellow Mushroom near you or are visiting a town that has one, you have to try it or the pizza gods will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger or something like that.


[Garlic bread with cheese, beeeeer, and a lil' greek salad humana humana]

The first reason that the pizza is so amazing at Mellow Mushroom is the dough. A direct quote from their website is "We are the originators of Classic Southern Pizza, & our unique and flavorful crust is a true original." It's true. The crust is the best that I have ever eaten in my life. It's a little crispy and a little chewy and covered in salty parmesan cheese. In addition to pizza they make garlic knot reminiscent dough balls and pretzels with the dough. Can you say "hell yeah"? I do every time I pull into the parking lot.


[Half green olives and half jerk chicken pizza + jerk chicken parmesan hoagie]

Another reason the pizza is so amazing is their variety of toppings. First off, look at all these cheeses: cheddar, fresh mozzarella, provolone, ricotta, shaved parmesan, blue cheese, daiya vegan cheese, fresh buffalo mozzarella, and montamore. Fuck it, I'm just gonna go ahead a list all the other toppings too: artichoke hearts, banana peppers, black olives, broccoli, caramelized onions, cucumbers, garlic, green olives, green peppers, jalapeƱos, mushrooms, onions, pepperoncini, pineapple, roasted red peppers, roma tomatoes, spinach, fresh basil, kalamata olives, pesto swirl, portobello mushrooms,  sun-dried tomatoes, anchovies, ground beef, ham, italian sausage, pepperoni, salami, tempeh, tofu, turkey, andouille sausage, applewood smoked bacon, avocado, meatballs, and grilled chicken, shrimp or steak (BBQ, Buffalo, Curry, Herb Vinaigrette, Jerk, Pesto, Teriyaki). HOLY SHIT. You can also put all of this holy shit on to hoagies, calzones, and salads. 

LOOK AT THE FREAKING PARMESAN ON THAT CRUST
It's probably a sign to end a post when you've just written a paragraph that contains nothing but food words. But, in case you weren't already convinced that Mellow Mushroom is amazing, they also have craft beer. And trivia nights. And sometimes live bands play. And... you get it... right?

Mellow Mushroom on Urbanspoon Mellow Mushroom on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. now i can't think of anything except for eating pizza

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got a Mellow Mushroom in Arizona maybe two years ago and it changed my life. Delicious pizza. Huge beer selection. I always recommend it to everyone.
    Now I'm craving some.

    ReplyDelete